Thursday, September 23, 2010

Crazy Quilt Class #1


The Million Dollar Crazy Quilt!!!
Ok not a million dollars but it feels like I have spent that much on wool and thread!!

My friends Leslie, Robin and I decided to take a wool crazy quilt class.  I had no idea that wool was so hard to come by and stupid expensive.  So what if we don't send our kids to college! ;)

These are Valdani threads from Romania that are specially hand died!  They look so pretty in the box.  It is such a shame that I am about to make a huge mess out of them!
 We had to first piece the wool together.  It is not as easy as it looks!  
Look at Robin figuring out here formula:)
 This is the beginning phase of mine.
 This is some of the wool I have collected.
 These are my wools for a spring quilt.
Ok when I say quilt I guess I should be saying wall hanging.  This is mine  all pieced together.  Now that we have this much done, we have to go and do decorative embroidery stitches on the seams.  After we get that done, we will start all our applique.  I think mine is going to be a Thanksgiving and Christmas quilt.  In the spring, I want to applique another one with lots of flowers, bees, birds, hearts etc.

15 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful creative project you are working on. Wool has such a "good hand". Your threads are delicious. Please post progress photos. Happy stitching...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the colors you picked out! So Harvesty!! The feel and smell of clean wool is so comforting isn't it?? It'll be doubly as comforting as a quilt!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun! I know it will be wonderful when you and Robin finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This looks awesome but scary! Can't wait to see how it all turns out;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, those threads are just screaming at me! So beautiful! Million Dollar crazy quilt? You've only just begun! It will become an obsession. At least it did for me. I have a room devoted to storing my stash. I don't even want to think about what I have spent over the years on all those supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot stand that Valdani thread box. You should have bought two, one just for 'lookin' at' right?

    I must get my hands on your wool!

    Oh, btw, my word verification for this comment was "weaker."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the choice of colors!!! They look so good together all laid out. And you are right... those spools of thread/yarn are gorgeous! I can't wait to see it finished. Do you think we will EVER get together? Hubby is getting better so MAYBE this Fall. And he told me today he is booked for a week in OKC but, we have no idea the dates. HUGS! Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh HUH ... I know how beautiful this is going to be. LOVE the colors you choose and look forward to seeing it in progress and finished.

    (())
    Francie

    PS The kids can always do work/study LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fab so far! I can't wait to see your progress, you brave thing you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelley,
    Incredible. That is a very serious quilt. Seriously, it is a very lovely quilt. The colors are beautiful and the yarns are to "dye" for. I think those threads are going to look so pretty used in embroidery stitches. No, kids don't really need to go to college. They just need happy moms!

    We are in our last few days in Croatia...then it is back to the US and getting serious on my SB swaps. That should take care of October. I am looking forward to it a lot. It will be fun to be a Sophomore and not so blown away by it all.

    Keep showing us how this is going!!!

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you go, girl! That is so cool. Can't wait to see the finished piece. I'm sure it will be AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the color, texture and design! Can't wait to see how it all comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Valdani thread is the ish! I exclusively embroidered with that for quite a while. Loving the wool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I love the collection of thread, and your project looks very promising. I'll be checking back soon to see the finished piece. No pressure....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! I loved you the way you put that Shelley about the price of wool...."studid crazy"! Isn't that the truth! Looks like a fun class though!
    Smiles-
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! :)